Glassine paper is a transparent, resilient glazed paper, which is water, air, and grease resistant, and is generally available in densities between 40–90 gsm. It is usually translucent, although it can be dyed to make it opaque or to colour it.
It is made using a process called calendering. The beaten pulp fibres are squeezed into moulds and then set to dry into sheets. The sheets are then rolled through hot rollers, resulting in an extremely smooth paper.
What is glassine paper used for?
Glassine has a wide variety of uses, across multiple industry sectors. Here’s a quick snapshot of where it is used:
- Given it is grease resistant, it is widely used in the food services sector. It is used as a release liner on baking trays or tins. It is also the paper used to make bags for bakery goods, and is used in small sheets to wrap meats or cheeses at a deli counter.
- In bookbinding, if is used as an interleaf to protect illustrations from contact with the facing page. It can be manufactured with a neutral PH, to prevent damage from rubbing or spilling.
- Think too of traditional photo albums, perhaps of wedding photographs, where it protects the photograph and adds a traditional touch to the album.
- It is also used for book repairs and to protect the surface of acrylic paintings that need to be stored or transported.
- Philatelists also use glassine envelopes to store stamps, and stamp hinges are also made of glassine.
How green is glassine?
Its green credentials are top notch! Glassine paper is environmentally-friendly, it is 100% recyclable, 100% biodegradable – and it starts from 100% sustainably managed forests.
Get creative with glassine!
Glassine envelopes are popular with hobbyists and crafters alike. The transparency of the envelopes mean that they are excellent for storage and for wrapping and selling items. Adding a bespoke sticker, ribbon or label makes the bags visually appealing and attractive.
PG Paper offers glassine paper to suit your specific project or business needs. We offer a one-stop bespoke service; from procuring your exact order requirements, to delivering your order to anywhere in the world.
Contact our multilingual sales team to discuss your paper, board or speciality paper needs today. Reach us on [email protected] or +44 1505 457155.