There are so many different options when it comes to packaging. Trust the advice from the PG Paper team when it comes to choosing the most suitable types of packaging paper and board for your business.
Types of Packaging Paper and Board
Corrugated paper sheet is a material consisting of fluted paper sheet and one or two plain linerboards. It is made on corrugators and is used in the manufacture of heavy duty containers for shipping and corrugated boxes for normal packaging.
Depending on purpose corrugated sheet may be used. It can be:
- Single Fluted – Single flute sandwiched between top and bottom linerboards.
- Double Fluted – Two layers of flute sheet is used in between 3 linerboards. Vertically placed one after another for added strength to the corrugated containers.
- Triple Fluted – There are three layers of fluted sheets within four sheets of linerboards, usually made for heavy duty shipping containers.
Linerboards used in the manufacturing of corrugated boards can be used as paper. Made from 100% recycled fibers, mix of recycled and virgin fibers or solely virgin fibers, depending on the strength we required in the corrugated board.
Kraft Liner is defined as one of the types of packaging paper or paperboard, whose fiber content has no less than 80% Virgin fibers obtained by the chemical sulfate or soda processes.
Made from virgin fiber, it is noted for its high resistance to tearing, stress and punching. These properties make it an ideal paper for manufacturing packaging with complex structures and when higher levels of resistance are required. It is also particularly well suited for moist environments.
Types of Kraft Liners
- White Top Kraft Liner – It is a two ply product. The top ply consists of pure bleached hardwood Kraft Fibers and the base ply is made of unbleached Softwood Kraft fibers. White top Kraft Liner offers excellent printability qualities.
- High quality printing
- Industrial packaging
- Consumer durables
- Food & beverages
- Brown Kraft Liner – It is again a two-ply product. The top ply consists of pure unbleached softwood fibers and the base ply is made of mixture of unbleached softwood fibers and high quality recycled fibers. Brown Kraft liner offers great strength and very good printability.
- Virgin Kraft Liner Paper – It is a single ply product made from virgin wood fibers. Known for its greater strength, high resistance to tearing, stress, punching and moisture. It is typically used as top and bottom liner for corrugated boxes with single or more flutes.
The term testliner refers to types of packaging paper with different bursting strengths. Since some grades of testliner have lower burst factors, due to containing high amounts of recycled fibers, the lower grades of testliner are often associated with recycled fibers.
Testliner is a recycled base liner board for container board. The products consist of three layers. It is used for the inner and outer layers (face paper) of carton boxes, and is divided into three quality grades: LH, LE, and LF.
Testliner is produced from 100% recycled fibers, with coloring agents providing a stable optical color. The addition of starch guarantees the strength of Testliner and a surface treatment, involving the addition of synthetic adhesives, optimizes the printability of paper.
Testliner also comes with white top which is often called White Top Test Liner and is a two ply product. The top ply is made of high quality bleached fibers which provides excellent printability characteristics and the base comes with 100% recycled fibers with different bursting strength.
Testliner paper can be used for the production of:
- Food packaging
- Packaging for consumer durables
- Corrugated cardboard tray packaging
Fluting paper is the middle liner of corrugated board, which may be supplied individually as a type of protective packaging. It provides protection by filling empty spaces in the outer case and providing a cushioning effect for the primary product.
Being an environmental friendly alternative to traditional types of packaging paper and materials such as bubble wrap and other plastic based solutions, it is 100% recyclable and made from a renewable resource.
Sizes of Corrugated Box Fluting
Corrugated box fluting comes in different sizes and varieties and may be used for different applications. Generally, the larger the flute (A & B profiles) the greater the strength and cushioning. And the smaller the flute (D & E profiles) the better the printability and fold ability.
- A-Flute – This is the original fluting for corrugated boxes. With approximately 36 flutes per foot, it can be used for a double wall application or a thick corrugated pad.
- B-Flute– Primarily used for canned goods packaging, the B flute provides the second highest arch size at approximately 49 flutes per foot. Because of its impressive stacking strength and crushing resistance, some common uses of B flute are food packaging, retail packaging, POP (point of purchase) displays, die cut inserts, and customized print packaging.
- C-Flute –This is the most commonly used corrugated box flute. As an all-purpose flute, the C flute has approximately 41 flutes per foot. Providing good cushioning, stacking and printing properties. Some common packaging uses include shipping cartons, master shippers and corrugated box displays.
- E-Flute –The E flute is the second most commonly used corrugated box. At about 90 flutes per foot, it is also used to print high quality direct print graphics, in comparison to its counterparts. Common uses include retail packaging, printed corrugated box packaging, POP packaging, and those looking for eco-friendly packaging.
- F-Flute –This small, tighter flute is an environmentally friendly replacement to folding cartons. At approximately 128 flutes per foot, the F flute offers an exceptionally high-value look and provides packaging with solid structural integrity. Common uses include custom printed boxes, printed corrugated boxes, retail packaging and POP displays.
Features and Benefits of Fluting Paper
- Different weighted paper available for various strength requirements
- Shipping available in roll form
- Made from 100% recycled paper
- Reduction in transit damage as product remains static inside pack
- Boosts level of protection provided by outer case
- Cost effective alternative to bespoke designed fitments
- Helps optimize your storage space
- Easy to handle and use due to its light weight nature
- Environmentally friendly – 100% recyclable and made from a renewable resource
PG Paper is a premium paper supplier, operating in over 55 countries across all 5 continents. We offer Kraft Liner, Test Liner and Fluting in various gsm and qualities with brown and white top from 75-400gsm.
In addition to the above types of packaging paper grades, we can provide customized solutions for all of your paper requirements.
We are here to help! Contact us or send your queries and requirements to [email protected] and a member of our team will be in touch with a bespoke, cost-effective solution.